Welcome to the School Counseling Department at CHMS! We are excited to have you as a part of our Chasco family. On this page you will find a brief overview of what can be expected from our School Counseling Department during the 2018-2019 school year. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to send us an email, or reach us by phone. We are here to help!
Our School Counseling Program Includes
- Individual Counseling and Consultation
Counselors help students explore their personal and academic concerns and when appropriate, develop a plan of action with students to reach his/her goals.
- Small Group Counseling
Small groups of students meet in the counselor’s office to discuss issues such as positive interpersonal relations, problem solving skills, academic success skills and coping with loss.
- Classroom Guidance Lessons
Throughout the school year, counselors will present classroom guidance lessons on a variety of topics (see highlights below).
- Family Support
Understanding the importance of working as a team, counselors are able to work with parents on issues that may be hampering the educational or emotional development of a child. Counselors are able to provide resources and referrals to help students’ unique and important needs.
- Section 504
For questions or concerns regarding Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, please contact your student’s counselor to request more information.
Program Highlights 2018-2019
- Guidance Overview and Introduction: how to request to see a counselor, how can the School Counselor help?
- Bullying Prevention and Suicide Prevention
- Academic, College, and Career planning
- Duke TIP –
- Take Stock in Children Scholarships
- Healthy relationships and online safety through the Smarter Safer Teens Curriculum
- Ongoing Character Education
- During April, all teams complete their Course Cards for the following school year